Just this last summer I was in the largest nation in the world. The People's Republic of China, with over 1.3 billion people, seems rely intimidating from far. After almost an entire day of flying, arriving Beijing was a worthy. I really expected more of a culture shock, but what I got was something close. Some differences were immediately present, like squatting toilets!
However, it was much comparable to Sydney in its modern architecture, bustling streets and crazy traffic.
Really, Beijing is an amazing city. There was so much to see and do. For such a modern city, it really kept a lot of its roots intact. Walls and gatehouses from the original city stand monument to its age, just as the Summer Palace demonstrates its previous wealth and the forbidden city its ancients power. I also got the chance to have dinner with a family that lives in one of the remaining old neighborhoods not yet torn down by the government. That was a bit of a shock but I really gained respect for the family and the people who choose to live in those old houses.
![]() |
| visiting the oldest mosque on earth |

No comments:
Post a Comment